Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Kickin' it at Calexico

Last night, my wife and I Love Taco Bell, and myself enjoyed an evening of Calexico at 9:30 Club. After putting away a few PBRs and pretzels prior to going, we arrived just as the band was coming on. I was banished from partaking of the bar because I have misplaced my driver's license (which I'm sure will involve a lot of paperwork and a trip to the always fun DC DMV). The club put two big stamps on my hands to indicate "Access Denied." They even provided a warning (albeit gentle) of getting tossed out if I attempted any funny business at the bar. Luckily I could drink the water.

Anyway, the show, of course, was very good. Calexico played a lot from "Feast of Wire" including "Across the Wire" a staple of a good number of mix CDs I've burned for people. They even busted out a heartfelt rendition of Love's "Alone Again Or." The crowd was mostly into it. Though I could go on and on about the usual annoying hipsters and fratboys who seem only capable of talking in loud, incomplete sentences during the softer points in the set, I'm afraid I would be only preaching to the choir. However, right in front of me I did witness the re-incarnation of the Dancing Elaine (she of "full body dry heave" fame). It was quite a show!!! There are times when I wish I had that annoying picture phone!!!

However, there was some sadness. My favorite baseball player, Greg Maddux, once again lost. After an awesome start, he and his Cubs are sinking deeper and deeper into the depths of the Central Division. Pretty soon they'll be battling it out with the Pirates for last place. Let us all pray that this slide does not continue. Unless there is a big turnaround, we could be witnessing the final pitches of one of the greatest pitchers ever.

Tonight my wife and I start our first Spanish class. That should be interesting, given my own difficulties with mastering English (as you loyal reader has already discerned, no doubt). Please wish us luck!!!

Adios.

3 comments:

wilco1014 said...

Cual es usted numero de telefono? At least we could ask the bilingual band Calexico that question, verdad?

Poor big butt.

Elizabeth said...

i have to say that i was so smitten with the band (you might notice in my after the band blog post) that I didn't notice the Elaine dancer! and i wasn't even bothered by the talking hipsters or white hat dude.

let's also note that the cardinals, though still in first place, have lost 8 in a row. trying to be a cub-like. they've got a prayer.

derek lee is back in the line-up. the cubs' season went belly-up when he went on the DL so maybe, just maybe, he can pull them up by their stirrup straps.

anne altman said...

PBR n' preztels.


MMMMMMM