Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Apocalypse When? (Updated 10/10)


In Wichita, the Rolling Stones came and went without ringing in the Apocalypse. I think a more sure sign would be, say, the Tigers winning the World Series (especially after last night's not-so-stellar performance). Just as well. According to this article, we Americans are ill-prepared for the cataclysmic event, AKA the Second Coming, anyway. But, it got me to thinking, which band(s) would I want to ride out the Apocalypse with? (And since the dead will be raised, the previously deceased are now options.) If there is anyone still reading this blog, please let me know your thoughts. I’ll post mine later.

Additional Info:

After thoughtful consideration, here are the five bands I'd like to hear live.

1. The Beatles
2. Beck
3. Bob Dylan
4. Uncle Tupelo
5. Neil Young

And here are five albums, always subject to change depending on time and mood (should probably make this ten albums).

1. Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
2. Sonic Youth Daydream Nation
3. Bruce Springsteen Nebraska
4. Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced?
5. Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

8 comments:

wilco1014 said...

Wow...that's kind of a long article that I didn't really read, but it looked funny and yes, I will read it in it's entirety.

First, a question. Is there a limit to how many bands can join us in the great apocalypse ride-out?

Meddling Methodist said...

No limit.

Elizabeth said...

Live or album version?

Meddling Methodist said...

I was thinking live, though a separate list of albums to make the cut at the end-times is also intriguing

Meddling Methodist said...

Ok, I think I will place limits. 5 live bands and 5 albums. I would suggest we think hard on this and want not to mix the two (e.g. picking the Beach Boys to perform live and then choosing pet sounds as the album when they could simply play it live, though I have no interest in picking the Beach Boys at all).

Elizabeth said...

you know 5 or 6 of brian wilson's favorite all time songs were beach boys songs. isn't that egotistical?

this is a tough one.

1. kelly clarkson (hand it over, ash).

but really:

i am going to go with blood on the tracks to go out on. wilco live to go out on.

but now i am thinking: it would depend on my mood. am i happy about the end of the world? sad? torn? there probably needs to be some bright eyes and rilo kiley in one or both of these lists.

wilco1014 said...

Live Bands:
1. Wilco
2. Belle and Sebastian
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

I figure these people could just rotate playing.

Albums are a bit trickier. Meaning I haven't decided.

Elizabeth said...

nice on the ultimate decision. it's hard. remarkably, i am with you on a few.
my albums would go:

1. blood on the tracks
2. yhf
3. graceland
4. the harder they come
5. nebraska

i can't do live yet. one big list at a time.