Tuesday, July 25, 2006

DMV: A Success Story

One's life can be traced as a series of small victories against overwhelming odds. At times it seems the human condition is pre-disposed to structuring it's own society in ways which serve to de-value and de-moralize attempts to break free from the bonds of those very constructs that hinder our full potential. Yet breakthroughs do occur and life reveals itself to be capable of maintaining hope and promise in spite of the apparent bleakness. Some experience those breakthroughs as evidence of a just and merciful God, others as simply luck (I fall firmly in the former category yet do acknowledge the role of chance in our lives).

As has been previously posted I have been undergoing a journey of sorts. Maybe not on the same level as, say, Ulysses or Frodo, but one which illustrates the elation of triumphs great and small. My return trip to the DC DMV yielded the desired result and I got my driver's license. I had all the necessary paperwork (sidenote: I did not need to have a police report documenting the saga of my lost license. This time through the line nobody asked for it. Though part of me wants to lash out at the system that would send me on a wild goose chase I was too grateful to care. Perhaps that is one way they pacify you.) My visit lasted an hour and I left, new license in hand (fortunately with the same photo of a more fitter me). I may have even hummed "Ode to Joy" as I walked back to the Metro.

So, I am happy to report that I have experienced a small victory that should offer hope to anyone needing to get anything from the DMV. Perhaps a whole devotional could be devoted to those DMV triumphs. It could be shelved next to Don't Sweat the Small Stuff.

MM


3 comments:

wilco1014 said...

God knows it would be better than anything Don't Sweat the Small Stuff has to offer... Congratulaions and get to work on that book.

Elizabeth said...

WOW. i was thrown by the revelation that the gtown dmv did not ask for the very information for which, lacking, you were unsuccessful saturday. i can understand your torn emotions upon learning that. but wonderful. you have it and can now ditch the passport out of your everyday carryall.

Meddling Methodist said...

I actually went into the belly of the beast at 301 C Street because I got a little later start to the day due to our Danielson adventure the previous evening. For all I know I would've had to give a DNA sample had I gone to g'town. Or maybe a smile would've sufficed.